7 Useful Tips for a Healthier and Speedy Recovery Post COVID23 Nov, 2022
Standard recovery process post COVID-19 includes eating a balanced meal and avoiding exertion. Here are simple tips you can follow for a healthy, safe, and speedy recovery.
The world experienced a severe health crisis when COVID-19 took over our fast-moving lives. We were in a whirlwind, scared for ourselves and our loved ones. The pandemic has taught us to prioritise our health more than ever before. It has also taught us how medical insurance can help you overcome a challenging medical crisis.
After the COVID-19 infection, most people complained of some common symptoms while recovering. Some experienced the loss of smell and taste, while some said it was challenging to stay active through the day. Most people form antibodies after being infected with the virus, preventing them from contracting it again. However, many people contracted the virus twice, adversely affecting their health. While the standard process of having a speedy recovery includes eating a balanced meal and avoiding exertion, there are essential tips you should follow for a healthy, safe, and speedy recovery.
Quick Read Section:
- Not following proper protocols and preventive measures can cause a relapse of Covid-19 infection.
- Follow the standard protocol of using face masks, wash your hands regularly, and avoid gatherings in public places.
- According to the WHO statistics, 608,328,548 people were globally infected by COVID-19 as of 16th September 2022.
- Usually, it takes 3 weeks for a COVID-infected person to recover. However, medical experts believe that a person who suffers an impact on the lungs, kidneys, or heart needs a longer recovery period.
Post COVID Care Tips for a Healthier You
- Inhale Steam: A compromised upper and lower respiratory system is one of the most common repercussions of COVID-19 infection. To relieve the congestion, you should continue to inhale steam as a part of your COVID-19 recovery process. Steam inhalation can reinstate your lungs' capacity, release congestion, and ease breathing.
- Maintain a Balanced Diet: Diet is an essential component of your COVID-19 recovery. Increase your vegetable and fruit intake and ensure consumption of balanced meals with sufficient protein, carbohydrates, healthy fats and micronutrients. This will ensure that your body gets all the nutrients it requires during its recovery process. Be mindful about your water intake as well. Since summers in UAE can be harsh and long, with high humidity. Ensure to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to avoid dehydration. Adequate water intake will help your body flush out toxins and aid your brain in producing chemicals like serotonin, essential for overall health, well-being, and optimal sleep.
- Stay Active: Exercising might be exhausting while recovering from a COVID-19 infection. However, staying active throughout the day can help your body heal faster. Don't undertake strenuous activity, but practice light physical and breathing exercises to strengthen your body and lungs. Light exercises like walking, stretches, yoga etc. will help you regain strength and stamina. Regularly exercising over a period of time strengthens muscles, builds flexibility and has a positive impact on mental and physical health, including your immune system.
- Monitor your Micronutrients: Several micronutrients, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron etc., are crucial for the recovery and strengthening of the immune system. In many instances, people recovering from COVID-19 deal with a compromised immune system and in severe cases, the virus might have also adversely affected their lungs and kidneys. You should consult your doctor and see if you need to start consuming any vitamins or minerals to expedite your recovery and improve your immunity. Please ensure you consult a doctor or a medical practitioner before consuming any vitamins or minerals supplements.
- Take Adequate Rest: The quality and duration of your sleep affect your immunity. Your body needs the necessary amount of sleep to function, fight disease, and help you stay active throughout the day. An average adult requires a minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep for optimal functioning. When you don't get enough sleep, your body's ability to fight diseases is reduced, making it more prone to contracting infections.
- Prioritise Your Mental Health: We often neglect our mental health while focusing on the physical aspects. Deteriorating mental health weakens your immune system, impairing its ability to function effectively. Prioritising your mental health by undertaking mindfulness practices like meditation, spending time in nature, journaling, etc., can keep mood swings at bay while promoting overall mental well-being. Good mental health will positively influence your Covid-19 recovery and also help you maintain your physical well-being.
- Be Mindful of Other Symptoms: The COVID-19 virus adversely affects your immune system, making it vulnerable to severe infections. Apart from the standard post-COVID fatigue, you should see a doctor immediately if you experience extreme and abnormal symptoms, including fever, restlessness, dizziness and breathlessness.
While the COVID-19 restrictions are easing, we still need to be careful. Experts say that wearing masks and washing hands are small but essential steps to reduce your chances of contracting the virus. Although being hygienic and consistent with your precautions is vital, you can be even more cautious by investing in medical insurance to safeguard yourself and your family. Our team of expert health insurance brokers will help you choose the right medical insurance plan with maximum coverage and the best premiums.
Contact us today for all your health insurance needs.