Tightening Risk Management on Buildings
However, all claddings are not equally hazardous and the following table will illustrate the differences.
|Type of Insulation Core Material used||Rockwool||Polyurethane Foam (PUF)|
|Combustibility||Non Combustible||Highly Combustible|
|Looks like||Chopped white cotton||Rigid Foam|
|Risk||Low hazard||High Hazard|
|Fire Rated||Fire Rated||Non Fire Rated|
In many countries like USA and UK, due to the strict test protocols for building codes, buildings are more resistant to external wall fire. UAE is also following suit to regulate building codes with respect to usage of external panels with combustible insulation core.
However, at this moment, building managers should be more aware of the various building hazards and take necessary steps to mitigate risks. Apart from construction, various other hazards exist in buildings which also need to be taken care of.
The following illustration can help in highlighting some of those measures that can be included in the risk management programme of a building.
If ACP has PU Foam as Core Insulation Material.
- No hot works like welding should be allowed near the panels.
- Electrical devices should not be installed on panels.
- Regular checking of electrical systems.
- To break the chain non combustible panels (fire rated) can be installed in regular height intervals.
Fire Hazards to watch out for
- Electrical Hazards - Poor wiring, damaged electrical devices, overloading sockets.
- Housekeeping - Storage of combustible materials, lack of maintenance, poor housekeeping.
- Hot works like welding, electrical devices fitted on cladded panels etc.
- Smoking in undesignated areas.
- Sprinklers in regular intervals.
- Fire breaks like fire doors and non combustible panels.
- Maintenance of Fire fighting equipments and alarms.
- A hot works permit for any works in the buildings.
- A clear set of safety precautionery measures for tenants and occupiers.
- A Health and Safety committee.
- Identification of hazards and quick rectification measures.
We're proud to have been awarded the prestigious title 'Chartered Insurance Brokers' by the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII). The award of Chartered titles is strictly controlled and is an objective measure of high standards of professionalism...Read more
Keep your eye out for our later releases of this Newsletter. We are going to add more new content.